Radon Testing and Removal
Radon is a radioactive gas that is created during the natural decay of uranium, a chemical element found in nearly all soils. As described by the World Health Organization (WHO):"Radon is a chemically inert, naturally occurring, radioactive gas. It has no smell, colour, or taste and is produced from the natural radioactive decay of uranium which is found in rocks and soil…" and “exposure to radon in the home and workplace is one of the main risks of ionizing radiation causing tens of thousands of deaths from lung cancer each year globally.” *
How does radon get into your home?
Radon naturally radiates to the air above the ground. The most common ways for it to enter your home is through cracks and holes in the foundation or your well water. Occasionally it can be found in the building materials used to construct your home — bricks, concrete blocks, concrete slabs, stone and other products that are made of stone or contain soil or rocks.
Does radon in well water pose a serious risk?
In addition to the risk of lung cancer from radon when it is inhaled, drinking water that contains radon is thought to pose a risk of developing stomach cancer, though it’s not as common of an occurrence as the risk it poses in causing lung cancer. The primary risk associated with radon in your water supply is the possibility of inhaling radon gas that has been released into the air when showering, boiling water or other common activities.
How is radon treated?
Treating your water for radon can be done with a point of entry treatment system – before it enters your home. This will ensure that radon isn’t able to radiate through your pipes or sit in any of your water fixtures.